The Media & Learning Center opened in Fall 2012 and was designed to provide flexible general purpose classrooms and labs for increased instructional space and academic capacity for anthropology, sociology and world languages.
The Media & Learning Center will also house offices for Distance Learning, Staff and Organizational Development, and the Technology Resources Group, including our broadcast media film and TV studio.
The goal is to make this an energy efficient facility and to obtain a platinum rating based on the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System.
Media & Learning Center Project Facts
- Project Budget: $54,000,000 approx.
- Start Date: 7/16/2007
- Est Complete: Fall quarter 2012
- Funding Source: Measure C Bond Funds
- Architect: The Ratcliff Architects
- Square footage: 66,900 sf gross
Primary Energy Design Goals
- Maximize the use of on-site environmental energies.
- Minimize the use of “purchased” energy originating exterior to the site.
- Assure thermal and visual comfort.
- Support the flexibility of use of classroom, laboratory and conference spaces.
- Minimize the environmental emissions caused by the manufacture of construction materials, actual construction, and lifetime use of the building.
Green Building Features
- Rooftop Photovoltaic panels for electrical generation
- Rooftop solar hot water panels for building use
- Buoyancy driven ventilation
- Raised floor for gentle air distribution and flexibility
- Hi-performance skylight
- Clerestory Windows
- Natural daylight
- Orientation and layout for energy efficiency and passive solar benefits
- Water conservation and water runoff control
- Radiant heating in the lobby/atrium floor
- Native and low water usage species landscaping design
Facility Layout and Highlights
- Two-story building with central atrium
- Two Large Media & Learning Classrooms (100 students each)
- Eleven Media & Learning Classrooms (40 or 50 students each)
- Study Tutorial Areas and Student Learning Resource Center
- Student Café
- Student Lounge
- Technology Resources
- Distance Learning
- Staff Development
- TV Studio
- Division and Faculty Offices
- Outdoor Study Areas